Those of you who read this blog regularly will know that I posted a 2 part series exposing Todd Bentley's false teaching at the height of his popularity.
Click Here for Part 1
Click Here for Part 2
Well this sacred cow is now a rotting carcass. Here is a video posted recently quoting a key leader within the Apostolic movement repenting and giving his post mortem of the "Lakeland Revival" and the dire future for the Charismatic movement if they don't start practicing biblical discernment.
There are several things worth pondering in the aftermath of all this.
1. We should be grieved and deeply saddened by the public reproach this brings to the name of our flawless Savior.
2. We should be grieved and praying for the many people deceived by this false revival.
3. We should be grieved for Todd Bentley's marital situation and personal integrity and that he would come to a place of sincere repentance.
4. This once again highlights the need for leaders to have a willingness to speak out when they are in the know for the sake of Christ's Name and the wellbeing of the wider body of Christ.
5. Not just those in charismatic circles, but also in the wider evangelical community need to really go through a deep process of self examination and biblical study so as to be able to biblically critique and examine the claims of every "new thing" that keeps appearing on the horizon.
6. The fact that there were no documented verifiable organic miracles that took place in Lakeland is ultimately irrelevant. Our first port of call must always be the purity of the gospel they preach. Because in the last days the Bible warns us that many will be deceived by miraculous signs and wonders as we see in Mark 13:22 which says "For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform signs and wonders, to lead astray, if possible, the elect."
7. Self appointed people portraying themselves as an authoritative voice for God should always cause alarm in our spirit and instruct us to proceed with extreme biblical caution.
Here is an article written by John Piper about the "Lakeland revival" and the need for biblical discernment:
Lee Grady, the editor of Charisma, one of the main charismatic magazines, has written a lament and critique of the Lakeland “revival” which is now in a tailspin over the leader's announced separation from his wife. Grady’s summons to pray for the church and our nation is right, and among his commendable questions and observations are these:
"Many of us would rather watch a noisy demonstration of miracles, signs and wonders than have a quiet Bible study. Yet we are faced today with the sad reality that our untempered zeal is a sign of immaturity. Our adolescent craving for the wild and crazy makes us do stupid things. It’s way past time for us to grow up."
"True revival will be accompanied by brokenness, humility, reverence and repentance—not the arrogance, showmanship and empty hype that often was on display in Lakeland."
"A prominent Pentecostal evangelist called me this week after Bentley’s news hit the fan. He said to me: “I’m now convinced that a large segment of the charismatic church will follow the anti-Christ when he shows up because they have no discernment.” Ouch. Hopefully we’ll learn our lesson this time and apply the necessary caution when an imposter shows up."
Charismatics will not be the only ones who follow the Antichrist when he rises. So will the mass of those who today in thousands of evangelical churches belittle the truth of biblical doctrine as God’s agent to set us free (John 8:32).
Discernment is not created in God’s people by brokenness, humility, reverence, and repentance. It is created by biblical truth and the application of truth by the power of the Holy Spirit to our hearts and minds. When that happens, then the brokenness, humility, reverence, and repentance will have the strong fiber of the full counsel of God in them. They will be profoundly Christian and not merely religious and emotional and psychological.
The common denominator of those who follow the Antichrist will not be “charismatic.” It will be, as Paul says, “they refused to love the truth.”
The coming of the lawless one is by the activity of Satan with all power and false signs and wonders, and with all wicked deception for those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. Therefore God sends them a strong delusion, so that they may believe what is false, in order that all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness. (2 Thessalonians 2:9-12)
Our test for every Lakeland that comes along should first be doctrinal and expositional. Is this awakening carried along by a “love for the truth” and a passion to hear the whole counsel of God proclaimed?
(quoted from http://www.desiringgod.org/Blog/1348_test_revival_with_doctrine/ )
Go On To Episode 6
Go Back To Episode 4
Go Back To Episode 1
Weekend A La Carte (April 25)
8 hours ago